7 Effective Tips to Prevent Open Pores
While there is no disease or medical condition known as “open pores,” what people are referring to when they talk about open pores or “strawberry nose” are pores on or around the nose that are excessively dilated. They have the appearance of pits or a dimpled appearance similar to the surface of a strawberry. Open pores can give your skin an irregular appearance and can even make you look as if you have aged prematurely.
Because of that, a lot of people are interested in ways to treat and prevent their open pores. On this page we are going to go over what causes this condition and we are going to give you 7 effective tips to prevent open pores. What Causes Open Pores? Open pores will normally start during puberty because of androgen hormone stimulation.
Once we reached puberty, the sebaceous glands in our skin become active which is why people start experiencing things like acne and open pores in their teenage years and we don’t typically see this type of thing in children. If your sebaceous glands are overactive and if your pores are clogged by dead skin cells or other debris, this can lead to an excessive dilation of the pores which will be visible as “open pores.”
How Can I Get Rid of Open Pores? There is no quick fix that is going to get rid of your open pores overnight but there are some treatments that are effective. Skin care products containing salicylic acid can be very effective. The salicylic acid will penetrate deep into the pores and the sebaceous ducts, helping to remove debris and the keratin plug. Products with beta hydroxyl acid can be effective for the same reason. For people with sensitive skin, salicylic acid may be irritating but there are also medications that can be helpful.
Topical treatments like retinoid and oral treatments like Isotretinoin are available with a prescription and they help reduce activity of the sebaceous glands. Other treatment options include using IPL laser or FRAXEL laser technology. IPL lasers can reduce the appearance of open pores but it is possible that the reduced appearance is due to skin swelling caused by the treatment.
The effectiveness of FRAXEL laser treatments is still being studied but this treatment option is currently being used to effectively reduce large pits on the face caused by acne scars. Prevention Is the Best Medicine There are a number of ways for treatment for visibly open pores but prevention is always one of your best options, so now we will have a look at 7 effective tips for preventing open pores.
- Avoid Washing Your Face Too Much If open pores are caused by excessive oils as well as dirt and debris being trapped in the pores, it would make sense to wash your face to remove the excess of dirt and oil. The problem is that if you wash your face too much, the result can be increased oil production. Washing your face once or twice per day is sufficient.
- Choose the Right Skin Care Products One example would be to use lotions rather than thick creams that can clog your pores. You will also want to use skin cleansers that are designed for oily skin; cleansers that will not leave your skin oily or dry after you wash your face.
- Avoid Touching Your Face Excessively If you are in the habit of constantly touching or rubbing your face you’ll be introducing extra oil, dirt, and debris which will exacerbate the problem.
- Avoid Squeezing Your Face to Get the Sebum Out You may be tempted to squeeze your face to remove the stuff that is blocking your pores but if you squeeze your face you can actually force dirt and debris deeper into your pores and this may lead to scarring or dark spots.
- Remove Makeup before Bed This one is for the ladies. If you want to prevent open pores you should get into the habit of removing your makeup before you go to bed. Failing to do so just contributes to clogged pores.
- Exfoliating Using a mild scrubber to clean your skin two or three times per week can help remove dead skin cells and unclog your pores. Using an exfoliating mask for a deep cleanse can also help.
- Eat a Healthy Diet A healthy diet can help reduce sebum production and as mentioned earlier, excessive sebum production can clog your pores.
Avoid fried, oily foods and try to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Also be sure to drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated.